German Shepherds are a highly active dog breed. So, a good night’s rest is important for their overall health. However, they also like to bite and chew so a good durable yet comfy dog bed is key. Most GSD owners can tell you, that most beds on the market will simply become chew toys. So, unless you want stuffing strewn all over your house, you need something tough and long-lasting for your pooch!
We have put together this list of the best dog beds for German Shepherds period! We researched forums like GermanShepherds.com to see what beds actual GSD owners use and swear by.
1. Best Elevated Dog Bed For German Shepherds: Kuranda Silver Aluminum Dog Bed
Rating: 4.9 Stars
Without a doubt the most popular name to come up among German Shepherd owners during research was the Kuranda dog bed. The proof is in the pudding and this bed has a nearly perfect Google rating because of its comfort, durability, and easiness to clean.
What is the Kuranda dog bed?
The Kuranda is an elevated dog bed that is chew proof and made for the indoors or out. It is made to last and some owners report them lasting over 20 years. They are made from aircraft grade aluminum and can support big heavy dogs without a problem.
What we like about this bed:
There are a few things that make this bed a favorite of GSD owners and our top pick overall.
- Durability: This dog bed is one of the toughest and outlasts most of the competition, especially the typical foam filled bed you see at the pet store. The frame is constructed from aircraft grade aluminum making it nearly impossible for a German Shepherd to chew. The fabric part of the bed is seamlessly integrated into a channel in the frame so your GSD’s big chompers can’t access it.
- Easy to Clean: Unlike typical pillow beds, the Kuranda is very simple to clean. You can just wipe off or scrub the vinyl or nylon and then rinse off with a hose. You don’t have to worry about the stink or smell from a soft foam filled bed. Additionally, any of the bed pads or accessories are machine washable.
- Elevated: The cool thing about the Kuranda is that it is elevated a few inches off of the ground. Similar to a cot, the elevation allows the dog’s weight to be distributed evenly without putting pressure on certain joints more than others. This is great for GSDs who are known for joint conditions like hip dysplasia. It is also better for them when they get older and have less mobility.
- Family-Owned: They are a small family-owned company with 45 employees who do everything including actually sewing the fabric together. They have been in business since 1995 and take great pride in their customer service as evident by the reviews.
- Made in the USA: All of their dog beds are manufactured in Glen Burnie, Maryland. My dad was born there so I have a special place in my heart for MD.
Their beds are so strong that they offer a 1 Year Chew Proof Warranty! It covers the frame and fabric but not the bed pads or accessories.
Click here if you are interested in purchasing a Kuranda silver aluminum dog bed!
2. Best Orthopedic Dog Bed For German Shepherds: Big Barker Orthopedic Dog Bed
Rating: 4.9 Stars
With another near perfect rating and over 4,500 customer reviews, this is one of the best orthopedic dog beds on the market. It’s made specifically for large dog breeds like the German Shepherd and actually improves mobility in the joints.
The University of Pennsylvania actually did a study to test the Big Barker. They proved that the bed improved the quality of life, in dogs that were at least 70 pounds and 3+ years, in less than a month. In addition to improving joint function, it improved gait, and reduced stiffness in the joints.
But most impressively, it reduced the amount of pain a dog suffers from their joints by 21.6%. That is a significant difference in older dogs who suffer from arthritis or joint conditions.
What is the Big Barker orthopedic dog bed?
The Big Barker is an orthopedic pillow style dog bed with an extremely comfy headrest for your GSD to lay its head. It’s super soft and comes with a 100% microfiber cover that is machine washable. It is made with quality foam and durable but may not be the best choice for super chewers. This would be a great fit for a senior dog less inclined to turn it into his own personal chew toy.
What we like about this bed:
- Clinically Proven: They don’t just claim that this bed is orthopedic and helps dogs with arthritis or joint problems. They provide actual proof that it can help your German Shepherd. This bed will provide comfort and an overall better well-being for an aging GSD.
- Comfy and Cozy: While the elevated beds are great, the Big Barker is a bit comfier and cozier all around. I mean who doesn’t love a fluffy pillow to lay their head on. It comes with a nice little head rest for your German Shepherd to plop its head down on after a hard day’s work. The 100% microfiber cover is also super soft!
- Durability: While it isn’t going to be as durable as the elevated beds, for a pillow bed it is made from quality material. It is handmade with high-quality orthopedic foam specifically designed to maintain 90% of its original shape for at least 10 years. That means that even a big dog breed like the GSD won’t flatten it out.
- Made in the USA: All of their beds are made in King of Prussia, PA.
- Safe Non-Toxic Foam: The creator Eric has been dealing with dog beds since 2006. He wants them to be safe for all dogs to use. Therefore, they are all CertiPUR-US® certified. He doesn’t use any foam made in China, which is in 98% of dog beds sold in the United States. He has proof on his website that Chinese made foam is toxic and dangerous to dogs. He only uses foam manufactured in the USA.
The Big Barker is so confident in their product that they give you 1 full year to return the bed if you are unhappy with it. You don’t even have to pay for the return shipping! In addition, they give you a 10-Year “No Flatten” Warranty!
Click here if you are interested in purchasing a Big Barker orthopedic dog bed!
3. Best Pillow Dog Bed For German Shepherds: K9 Ballistics Tough Rip-Stop™ Rectangle Pillow Dog Bed
Rating: 4.5 Stars
K9 Ballistics is another one of the best dog beds for German Shepherds on the market. I have seen several mentions of this brand while doing my research for this article. They are built to be tough and their bestselling rectangle bed has over 1,800 customer reviews!
Keep in mind, this is not the best option for a chewer and you will want to choose an elevated bed if that is the case. But if your German Shepherd is more laid back and likes to chill, this bed is a great fit.
It is still built tough and can withstand some digging and scratching. It is made with their own unique Rip-Stop Fabric™ made to prevent holes and tearing. This bed is made for the occasional chewer.
What is the K9 Ballistics Tough Rip-Stop™ rectangle pillow dog bed?
The K9 Ballistics is a rectangle shaped pillow bed that is filled with shredded orthopedic foam. It has a tough rip-stop ballistic fiber cover that is waterproof and machine washable. It has a non-skid bottom so it won’t slide on slippery or hardwood floors.
What we like about this bed:
- Comfort Factor: The shredded foam gives it a nesting quality that allows your German Shepherd to sink into the bed. There is a good chance your GSD won’t want to get up after lying down on this comfy cozy spot!
- Free Delivery: All orders over $75 come with free delivery inside the United States!
- Made in the USA: All of their bed mattresses are made in Camarillo, CA.
- Personalized: This is one of my favorite aspects of this bed. You can personalize it with your dog’s name right on front. This is especially nice if you have two dogs!
- Recycled Foam: K9 Ballistics really tries to focus on creating environmentally friendly products. For example, their beds can be spot cleaned which helps save water avoiding the washing machine. Additionally, they use CertiPUR-US® shredded foam that is made from the leftover pieces used to make the orthopedic foam beds. Their goal is ZERO WASTE Manufacturing.
- Sewn-In Chambers: The cool thing about these beds is that they have separate sewn-in chambers that hold the foam. This prevents the foam from spreading unevenly to one side. It keeps the bed foam even, giving the dog balanced support for his body.
Every K9 Ballistics dog bed comes with a 30-Day Manufacturer’s Warranty and a 120-Day Chew Proof Promise™! If your German Shepherd chews a hole in the bed within the 120 day window, you will receive a store credit for a new cover.
Click here if you are interested in purchasing a K9 Ballistics Tough Rip-Stop™ rectangle pillow dog bed!
4. Best Sofa Dog Bed For German Shepherds: L.L. Bean Therapeutic Dog Couch
Rating: 4.5 Stars
L.L. Bean has a long reputation for making quality clothing and their dog couch is no different. It is made from high quality materials and has plenty of 5 star reviews to back up the construction. With over 700 reviews total, plenty of happy pups have relaxed and slept on this therapeutic couch!
While it wasn’t the most mentioned bed on the net, we did see a few owners suggest this comfy cozy couch bed. Once we reviewed it, we could see why! It has plenty of quality features that make it stand out from some of the competition.
What is the L.L. Bean Therapeutic Dog Couch?
The L.L. Bean Therapeutic Dog Couch is a soft and cozy sofa style dog bed with innovative memory foam that helps support a dog’s joints by alleviating their pressure points. It is more rugged than a lot of the cheaper made beds and comes with a tough cotton denim.
What we like about the bed:
- It’s L.L. Bean: L.L. Bean has been around for over 100 years and is known for making quality clothes, shoes, boots, and outdoor equipment. If it’s L.L. Bean, you know it isn’t cheaply made. The same goes for their dog beds. You are going to get quality material.
- Made in the USA: While they still source some materials globally, they also still manufacture their own products right here in the U.S. In fact, they are one of the last US multi-channel merchants to run a manufacturing facility in Brunswick, ME. Some of their most popular products are made here including the Bean Boot and dog beds.
- Memory Foam: If you’ve ever slept on memory foam, you know how comfortable it is. This bed has a therapeutic aspect because it minimizes the pressure points, giving your GSD a better rest at night.
- Open-Cell Foam: The open-cell foam has cells that aren’t completely closed making it softer and more flexible. It also regulates temperature better, keeping the dog warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.
If you are not 100% satisfied with the product, you can return it within one year for a full refund. After that first year, they will also consider returns for defective items.
Click here if you are interested in purchasing an L.L. Bean Therapeutic Dog Couch!
5. Best Budget Dog Bed For German Shepherds: Frisco Rectangular Bolster Dog Bed
Rating: 4.8 Stars
If you’re on a budget and can’t afford the aforementioned beds, this is the best choice. It has close to a perfect rating and over 2,300 customer reviews. It is made by Chewy’s own brand “frisco” and considered their top-rated essentials.
Overall, their pet products have over 200,000 5-star reviews which is a testament to their quality. They are pretty serious about making pet products and it shows in their construction. However, this is an affordable bed but not a durable bed.
You get what you pay for and $34.99 will get you a nice comfy bed that won’t last very long if you have a chewer! This bed works best with a German Shepherd that rarely chews his toys or furniture.
What is the Frisco rectangular bolster dog bed?
The Frisco is a rectangular shaped bolster bed made for cats or dogs. It is extremely cozy and soft with a fluffy polyester fiber filling that provides comfort for your GSD. The sides are raised to give your dog a feeling of nesting and safety as he naps or sleeps. It is made out of faux suede and comes in a natural olive green color.
What we like about this bed:
- Machine Washable: Cleanup is easy with this bed and looking at the reviews, this is one perk that owners love. According to owners it stands the test of time even after multiple washings. Just throw it in the washer when it gets dirty and nasty without worrying about spot cleaning!
- Soft and Cuddly: What it lacks in durability and toughness, it makes up for in plushness and softness. If you have a German Shepherd that won’t destroy it, he will spend many a night nice and cozy in this comfy bed.
- The Price: Obviously one of the best parts about this bed is the low price point. It’s a great bed if you are on a budget and can’t spend a few hundred bucks on a dog bed. However, with that low price comes lower quality and durability. A German Shepherd that likes to chew could destroy this bed in a matter of days!
Because of its low price, no warranty is offered.
Click here if you are interested purchasing a Frisco rectangular bolster dog bed!
6. Best Alternative Dog Bed For German Shepherds: Crib Mattress
In doing my research to find the best dog beds for German Shepherds, I came across several people who said that a crib mattress makes a great dog bed.
They are extremely comfortable for your dog and if it’s used your GSD will most likely enjoy the leftover smells from the baby. Additionally, they are usually plastic coated and made to endure the accidents and spills from a baby.
What we like about a crib mattress:
- Changeable Covers: There are companies like molly mutt who make beautiful covers that fit standard baby crib mattresses. They are made out of 100% cotton canvas that is breathable and zips open on both sides for easy removal. Simply throw it in the wash to clean with cold water and some mild detergent.
- Durable: Crib mattresses are made with the baby in mind so they manufacture them to withstand the array of fluids that may make their way to the bed’s surface. They are normally waterproof, making them a great option for an indoor or outdoor dog bed.
- Recycled: If you have a baby or toddler that has outgrown their mattress, you can recycle it and use it for your German Shepherd. It will save you some money and provide your GSD with a nice quality comfortable place to sleep!
Free-$300 (Depends on whether or not it is recycled, used, or new)
Click here if you are interested in purchasing a baby crib mattress!
Click here if you are interested in purchasing a crib mattress cover!
Best Dog Beds For German Shepherds Comparison Chart:
We gave you a lot of good choices so here is a comparison chart to give you a quick breakdown of each dog bed and help you decide which one is right for you!
|Kuranda Silver Aluminum
|40 x 25 inches
|Big Barker Orthopedic
|52 x 36 inches
|K9 Ballistics Tough Rip-Stop™
|54 x 38 inches
|L.L. Bean Therapeutic Couch
|44 x 34 inches
|32 x 26 inches
|Crib Mattress with Cover
|52 x 28 inches
Tips For Picking The Best Dog Bed For German Shepherds:
Here are some quick tips to make sure you pick the best sleeping quarters for your GSD!
- Choose the best size: We gave you average bed sizes for a German Shepherd but make sure you measure the length of your GSD and pick the appropriate size accordingly. Some GSDs can get pretty big even reaching well over 100 pounds. You want to pick a bed that is at least 40 inches long by 25 inches wide that can support 90+ pounds!
- Make sure it is durable: A German Shepherd will make quick work of most cheap pillow beds that you find at the local pet store. Invest some money into a high-quality bed that is made to last and you won’t have to worry about buying new beds every six months! The Kuranga for example, will last a lifetime and only cost $137.95.
- Pick a bed made from safe materials: This one is important because you don’t want your precious GSD sleeping on anything that is toxic or hazardous to their health. Pick a bed that is made in the USA and avoid buying any bed that is made in China! They are known for using toxic chemicals in their dog bed foam.
There are probably hundreds if not thousands of dog beds on the market but these are the absolute best dog beds for German Shepherds you can find! We found these beds based solely on the recommendations of actual GSD owners. If you have any hesitation about these beds, check out the reviews for reassurance!
Also remember, no bed is completely indestructible although the Kuranga is pretty close! German Shepherds have a fierce bite with 238 pounds per square inch of force! If they decide to chew something, it better be tough!
Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think!
Have you ever owned any of these German Shepherd beds mentioned in the article? If so, which one and how did it perform? Let us know! We would love to hear about your personal experience!