One of the most attractive things about a German Shepherd is their beautiful furry coat. Their thick double coat of fur protects them from the elements. It also regulates temperature during extreme weather. This also means they shed more than a single coated dog. Because of this, their coats need maintenance to avoid matting and tangles. Brushing your dog and bathing them with the best German Shepherd shampoo and conditioner is very important. It will keep their skin looking healthy and encourage their undercoat to shed.
Here is out list of the best shampoos and conditioners based on actual German Shepherd owners experiences.
Best German Shepherd Shampoo For Dry Itchy Skin
This is the best shampoo for your GSD if they have dry itchy skin. It is also one of the most popular and talked about from German Shepherd owners.
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Shampoo
This is one of the best for dogs with dry or sensitive skin. It will help relieve their itching which means less scratching and more relaxing for your furry friend.
It is a nice gentle soap-free combination of oatmeal and aloe that is made specifically for for dogs with skin issues. In addition to moisturizing their fur and skin, the aloe works to heal any damaged areas.
- Aloe vero is organic and helps to promote healing of dry and itchy skin.
- Great for dogs and cats who are over the age of six months old.
- Made without soap so it won’t dry out your dog’s skin.
- Nice almond and vanilla scent to keep your dog smelling fresh and clean.
- Totally biodegradable shampoo that is 100% free of parabens and phosphates.
|Good for the environment||Small percentage of owners don’t like the smell|
|Easy to rinse off|
|Leaves coat nice and soft|
Best German Shepherd Conditioner For Dry Itchy Skin
This doggie conditioner is a no brainer if you are going to use the Earthbath shampoo. Similar to the shampoo, it is a natural formula that will leave your GSD’s coat feeling soft and luxurious.
Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Dog & Cat Conditioner
You will definitely want to snuggle up with your German Shepherd after using this conditioner. Their coat will look clean, fluffy and shiny after using this combination of oatmeal and aloe vera.
Like the shampoo, the conditioner is great for dry itchy skin and should reduce the amount of time your dog spends scratching. Your GSD will be able to relax more and sleep better without that annoying itch.
- Completely biodegradable with no parabens or phosphates.
- Fresh clean smell from the almond and vanilla scent.
- Ideal for dogs and cats that are at least six months of age.
- Made with food-grade almond and vanilla extracts that help get out any snarls or tangles.
- Oatmeal is combined with aloe vera to keep the skin moist and heal any dry spots.
|Won’t wash off topical flea medications||Different opinions on smell|
|Rinses out easily|
|Can help relieve dry spots and hives|
Best German Shepherd Shampoo For Puppies
According to dog owners, this particular Earthbath shampoo has an amazing smell. It is super mild, soap free and won’t cause any tears with your little fluff ball.
Earthbath Ultra-Mild Wild Cherry Puppy Shampoo
This is one of the best shampoos for GSD pups under six months of age. It is really gentle on their delicate skin because of the pH balanced formula.
It uses natural cleaning ingredients in addition to aloe vera which heals and revitalizes the skin. Your little love bug will definitely feel pampered and want to snuggle with his fresh cherry smelling fur.
- Gentle and safe for puppies from six weeks to six months old.
- pH balanced formula that is free of soap and won’t cause any tears.
- Sweet wild cherry scent that you and your dog will love.
- Ten percent biodegradable and free of parabens and phosphates.
- Works safely with topical flea medications.
|Good for sensitive skin||Some say scent is too light|
|Relieves itching and scratching|
|Rinses out fast and easy|
Best German Shepherd Shampoo For Shedding
GSDs have earned the nickname “German Shedders” for a reason. Their thick dense double coat loses plenty of hair especially during their seasonal molting twice a year.
FURminator DeShedding Ultra Premium Shampoo For Dogs
Literally a “game changer” for some dog owners because of how much it reduces the amount of shedding. No more vacuuming daily or loads of fur on your favorite shirt.
This shampoo isn’t a gimmick and actually works. In our opinion, this is the best when it comes to a deshedding shampoo. In addition, it keeps their skin clean and healthy with fatty acids and extracts.
- Enhanced with Omega 3 and 6 Fatty Acids.
- Free of artificial colors, chemical dyes and parabens, made in the United States.
- Keeps the skin healthy and the coat clean for less shedding.
- Made for dogs and cats that are at least six weeks old.
- Natural ingredients including Calendula and Papaya Leaf Extracts.
|Great for seasonal shedding||No scent|
|Easy to follow directions||Small percentage report skin issues|
|Simple to use|
Best 2 in 1 German Shepherd Shampoo and Conditioner
If you need to speed things up at bath time, this TropiClean 2 in 1 shampoo conditioner is one of the best. It is soap free and leaves your GSD smelling fresh and fruity with a nice coconut and mango smell.
TropiClean Luxury 2 in 1 Papaya & Coconut Pet Shampoo and Conditioner
This is a good choice if you need to save time. It is cruelty free, soap free and does a good job at moisturizing your GSD’s furry coat.
It works great on a dirty dog who’s been outdoors rolling around in the mud or swimming in the lake. They will smell fresh and their double coat will feel nice and soft. In addition, you can also use it on the family cat.
- Coconut along with mango prepares any tangled fur for brushing.
- Enhanced with coconut oil that gets rid of any stubborn dirt and oils.
- Kiwi and papaya rejuvenates your dog’s skin keeping it moist and healthy.
- Mild enough for cats and strong enough for dogs.
- Soap free formula won’t wash away any flea or tick medications.
|Cleans thoroughly||Bottle sometimes leaks|
|Soft and shiny coat|
Best German Shepherd Shampoo For Fungal Infections
This shampoo works wonders for treating skin infections like dermatitis from flea bites. It also treats lesions from pyoderma. Overall this is one of the best for fighting bacterial and fungal conditions.
Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo
This specific shampoo is great for German Shepherds with skin infections from allergies, hormonal disorders, ringworm, short coats, skin folds, trauma or a weak immune system.
It uses Benzethonium Chloride to get rid of bacteria that irritates your GSD’s skin causing it to smell. It also contains Ketoconazole which treats any fungal infections. This shampoo is highly recommended by Veterinarians.
- Can be used on dogs and cats
- Enhanced with aloe vera to accelerate and facilitate healing.
- Free of parabens
- Special formula relieves and soothes bacterial and fungal infections.
- Works best bi-weekly to clear up skin conditions, then weekly for prevention.
|Reduces itching and scratching||Doesn’t work for all dogs|
|May reduce vet bills|
Overall the best German Shepherd shampoo is one that contains oatmeal and aloe vera. Try to avoid any harmful chemicals. Look for formulas that are paraben and phosphate free. In addition to a good shampoo and conitioner, you will also need a good brush for any loose hair. Make sure not to over groom your GSD with too many bathes.
Please leave a comment below and let us know what you think!
What do you think is the best German Shepherd shampoo and conditioner? Let us know! We would love to hear about your favorite grooming products?